Insurance Benefits Litigation
J.D., University of Baltimore School of Law (1983) cum laude
B.A., East Carolina University (1979)
United States District Courts for the District of Maryland, the District of Columbia, and the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania
United States Courts of Appeal for the Second, Third, Fourth and District of Columbia Circuits
Supreme Court of the United States
Bryan D. Bolton is in charge of litigation at Funk & Bolton, P.A. He primarily represents life, health and disability insurers, managed care companies, and third-party administrators in federal and state court litigation, including ERISA actions. Mr. Bolton also represents property and casualty insurers in regulatory proceedings.
Mr. Bolton is “AV” rated and listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers published by Martindale-Hubbell. Mr. Bolton also was included in both Maryland Super Lawyers 2012 and the Best Lawyers in America 2012.
Mr. Bolton was an Associate Editor of the University of Baltimore Law Review in 1982 and 1983. He is the author of “Important Terms for Inclusion in Confidential Settlement Agreements for Financial Services Companies”, 35 U. Balt. L. Rev. 347 (2006), and “Has Spring Arrived for the Frozen-Out Minority?, Twenty Seven Trust v. Realty Growth Investors, 533 F. Supp. 1028 (D. Md. 1982),” 12 U. Balt. L. Rev. 565 (1983). Mr. Bolton is the co-author of “Insurable Interest: An Ancient Doctrine Confronts Modern Problems,” For the Defense, Sept. 2008.
Following graduation from law school, Mr. Bolton practiced as a trial attorney with the Baltimore law firm of Freishtat & Sandler, where he engaged in complex civil litigation. From 1986 to 1996, Mr. Bolton concentrated in civil litigation at Shapiro and Olander, where he was the member in charge of insurance litigation. In 1996, Mr. Bolton co-founded the law firm of Funk & Bolton, P.A.
Mr. Bolton is a former member of the House of Delegates of the American Bar Association, the policy-making body of the ABA. He is a Past-Chair of the Life Insurance Law Committee and a member of the Health and Disability Insurance Law Committee of the Tort and Insurance Practice Section of the ABA. He is a former member of the ABA’s Litigation Section Appellate Practice Committee. He is a past chair of the Young Lawyers Section of the Maryland State Bar Association, and is a past member of the Board of Governors and the Executive Committee of the Board of Governors of the MSBA. Mr. Bolton is a past chair of “Trial By Jury – The Lawyer’s Craft,” which is sponsored by the Maryland State Bar Association.
Mr. Bolton is a member of the Defense Research Institute and is active in the Life, Health and Disability Law Committee. Mr. Bolton also is a member of the Pennsylvania and Philadelphia Bar Associations.
Mr. Bolton is a frequent author, speaker and presenter of papers on ERISA, employee benefits, and life, health, and disability insurance matters (some of which are available on our publications page). His most recent article is “Insurable Interest: An Ancient Doctrine Confronts Modern Problems,” For the Defense, Sept. 2008. Mr. Bolton is a contributing author to “ERISA Survey of Federal Circuits,” Brooks Magratten, Editor, Third Edition, published by the ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, 2006, Health and Disability Insurance Law Committee.
Mr. Bolton’s presentations include
- “Master Class – A Defense Perspective on Handling a Disability Case from Start to Finish,” American Conference Institute, 14th National Advanced Forum on Litigating Disability Insurance Claims, Jan. 2012.
- “State Efforts to Limit Discretion in Disability Policies,” American Conference Institute, 14th National Advanced Forum on Litigating Disability Insurance Claims, Jan. 2012
- “What do health insurance litigators face in 2012 and beyond?” Defense Research Institute, Webinar, Dec. 2011
- “AD&D Roundtable – Wherefore art thou ‘accident’?” International Claims Association, Oct. 2011
- “Health Care Reform,” International Claims Association 2010;
- “Self-Funded Benefit Plan Construction – Avoiding Risks and Reaping Rewards,” Defense Research Institute 2010;
- “Disability Claims In A Down Economy,” ALI-ABA 2009;
- “Developing A Winning Theme For Defense Of A Disability Case,” ACI 2008;
- “Hot Topics In Health Insurance – Change Is The Only Constant,” DRI 2008;
- “Managed Care Claims – Rules of Engagement,” Eastern Claims Conference 2008;
- “Practical Issues in Handling Mental Disability Claims: Building Your Case From a Verification Standpoint,” American Conference Institute, 2005;
- “Hot Topics in Disability Bad Faith Litigation: An Overview and Some Recent Trends,” Mealey’s Bad Faith Conference, 2004;
- “Special Considerations in the Investigation and Defense of Clinical Depression and Mental Illness Disability Claims,” American Conference Institute, 2003;
- “A Tough Pill to Swallow: The Impact of State Independent Review Laws,” International Claim Association 2003 Annual Meeting;
- “What Constitutes ‘Appropriate Care’?,” American Conference Institute, 2003;
- “Health and Welfare Benefit Compliance in Maryland,” National Business Institute Seminar, 2002;
- “Is Any Care ‘Appropriate Care’?,” Defense Research Institute, 2001;
- “Rights and Obligations from Remediation and Rehabilitation Clauses,” American Conference Institute, 2000;
- “Disability Hot Spots,” American Conference Institute, 2000; and
- “Risk of Relapse Disability Claims,” Eastern Claims Conference, 2000.